Cooper makes waves at LPHS

Cooper makes waves at LPHS

Freshman Caiya Cooper is making an immediate impact during her first year on the LPHS girls’ swim team.

Cooper has been competitively swimming for around 10 years. She has been on the LaPorte Community Turbos Swim Club, middle school, and currently the LaPorte High School swim team. 

Cooper swims several events, but her fortes are the 200 medley relay, 500 freestyle, 200 freestyle, and lastly the 400 freestyle relay. She recently accomplished something in the Slicer Natatorium that hasn’t been done in recent memory.

Every year over winter break, the LaPorte swim team holds very intense two a day practices six days a week, known as “Hell Week.” On one certain day, the team holds a three hour long practice to complete one of the hardest sets: the 100 100’s. The 100 100’s is a 100 yard swim completed on time intervals, 100 times in a row, without breaks. This is a physical and mental challenge to all swimmers. 

This past Hell Week, Cooper did something memorable. She completed the 100 100’s on all time intervals. This is the first time this has been completed since around the 2012-2013 season by Carley Jackson.

“It felt pretty amazing. I honestly didn’t think I had it in me to swim all of those in that time. I never thought I’d be the one to be able to do it,” Cooper said. 

The coaching staff was blown away at her accomplishment.

In all seriousness, watching her do the 100 100s was something amazing to see. It just showed her work ethic, and there was something awesome about the last three of them,” John Doty, head swim coach, said. 

Cooper has many goals she wants to complete over the next few years as a Slicer swimmer, but some of her main goals are to place for Sectionals and to make it to State before she graduates.

She has broken around 10 Turbos records including: 100 freestyle, 200 freestyle, 500 freestyle, 100 backstroke, 200 backstroke, 200 butterfly, 200 IM, and the 400 IM. Cooper plans on breaking several high school records over the next few years, including the 200 and 500 freestyle records.

Cooper went to State last year for age division on the Turbos swim team and has placed first and second in divisionals as well. Over the years, she has dropped time and has broken several Turbos records. 

Swimming not only has been able to let Cooper show off her strong athleticism, but it has also made her feel a lot better about herself. 

“It has made me feel a lot better about myself knowing that I can actually do this, and that I am actually good at something,” Cooper said.

Cooper wants to try swimming in college, but is not certain if she wants to still be swimming at that time. 

Cooper is sure to see her name added to the Slicer record books over the next four years.