La Porte Educational Development Foundation continues to make impact

The La Porte Educational Development Foundation has been a powerful support system to the many staff and students within the La Porte Community School Corporation. They have always had strong values: supporting the excellence of education, empowering of each student, appreciating the impact of the educators, and promoting the community.

The LEDF has been around since 1986, but it became more active and known in the community around 2005.

“Over the last six years especially, the foundation board, consisting of involved community volunteers, has continued to work to increase engagement and awareness in the community,” Liz Sawaya, LEDF executive director, said. 

The foundation that keeps the lives of students in LPCSC supported and thriving in resources to help enhance educational needs. All money raised from the foundation goes directly to teachers who apply for grants to improve their classroom. These grants are awarded in January each year.

The foundation believes in the work taking place in our community’s schools each day, and we are here to further assist teachers and students by funding projects and programs that the schools’ budgets may not be able to support,” Sawaya said.

2020 looks to be a busy year for the LEDF. Cabin Fever will be held tonight–raising funds for grants and also celebrating the Hubner Hall of Fame inductees. Anyone attending must be 21 years or older. Tickets are $25, and the event follows the Slicer basketball game.

The second planned occasion–Apple Fest and Find– will be May 2nd. That event will be more family oriented at Luhr Park, where ceramic apples will be hidden. More information will be announced as the day gets closer.

As always, their yearly Turkey Trot–a 5K run/walk–will be taking place on Thanksgiving Day. 

The foundation team sits down with the LPCSC administration team, and they all come together with goals to energize education by giving the staff, students, and community members equal opportunities to achieve that.

The group is made up of a volunteer board, but they completely rely on community members to support their efforts. 

Without being on the volunteer board, they are many ways to support the LEDF. There are organizational sponsorships, personal donations, and participating at events is always welcomed as well. 

For more information regarding the LEDF, contact the team at www.ledf.org.