Jory Bales: Slicer to Sycamore

Senior Jory Bales is leaving her mark as her final moments at LPHS are coming to an end. Throughout Bales’s years here at LaPorte, she has been a varsity tennis player and a successful student. 

Bales first began playing tennis for LaPorte Park and Recreation tennis summer camp  at six years old, and has been playing ever since. Bales began playing competitively in 6th grade, and all those practices and matches led her to be varsity tennis player for the high school team. 

Bales’s love for the sport all began when she wanted to be like her older sister and take tennis lessons over the summer. In middle school, Bales wanted to play as many sports as possible, and it was between either running cross country or tennis, and she chose tennis. 

“I think I made the right choice,” Bales said.

Depending on the workload at college, Bales is considering playing on the club team at Indiana State University where she will be attending in the fall to major in Elementary Education. She hopes to continue to play tennis just for fun after college.

Not only has Bales been a varsity letterer throughout her high school career, she has also received several awards through tennis including Mental Attitude award both freshman and junior year, and Most Improved her sophomore year. 

“All the awards were greatly appreciated, but I take a lot of pride in the Mental Attitude awards because that is one of my greatest strengths on the court,” Bales said. 

Her positive personality and leadership skills are a perfect mix for her future in education.

Bales passion for education all started with her love of school and her ability to help others when they had questions. Bales has had several people in her life tell her that she would be a great teacher. Bales loves working with children, and she knew she wanted to pursue a career that would let her get to work with them daily.

Bales has had several academic accomplishments throughout her years at LPHS. She’s a member of National Technical Honors Society, and made the top ten percent of her senior class with a 4.0 GPA. 

Bales has recently become one of the recipients of the Next Generation Future Hoosier Educators scholarship. This scholarship is for students who plan to become teachers.

“I am so happy to have gotten this scholarship because it will help me get my life started quicker after I graduate college, and it will ease some of the stress of paying for college,” Bales said. 

One thing is for sure. Bales will continue to make an impact regardless if she is on the court or in the classroom.