Coping with COVID

Since early March, COVID-19 has taken over the lives of everyone in the world. Now that LaPorte High School has started the school year back up again, teachers have even more on their plates than years prior. 

This year has obviously differed from the past for educators. Mrs. Welsh, 9th and 10th grade English teacher, is adjusting quickly to the new expectations and procedures. 

“I think people are a little bit afraid, but as a teacher, the classroom’s the same. I was so worried, and then I left, and I realized that COVID, the masks, the new cleaning expectations, it doesn’t change the teacher and it doesn’t change the kids. So, it’s a little different, but it’s the same,” Welsh said. 

Administration, staff, and students are all required to take part in social distancing, mask wearing, and sanitation throughout the school. Cleaning spray and hand sanitizer are just some of the initiatives that are being taken to ensure school safety. 

Welsh views these new procedures as the hardest part of the school year but also the most necessary. 

“Being with the kids is why you do this. They make all of it worth it. All the hand sanitizer, all of the 409 Spray, all of it. I wish there were more answers about COVID, safety, and cleanliness,” Welsh said. 

Mrs. McGuire, the co-chair of the English department and AP Seminar teacher, agrees wholeheartedly that the new safety procedures are necessary. 

“If you look at Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs, the very first thing that people should have, before they can get to any of the learning, is the need to feel safe. A lot of safety precautions have been put into place before we can even think about the ‘what we’re doing’ in class,” McGuire said. 

Mrs. Lebo, art teacher at LPHS, is also getting back into the swing of things and is thrilled to be back in the classroom. 

“My favorite thing about being back is seeing the kids and hearing about how their summers were and their experiences when we were on the break since March. It’s just been exciting to listen to what the kids have gone through,” Lebo said. 

Even though this year has brought some unexpected challenges, Lebo is positive that students coming back to school is refreshing for both students and teachers. 

“It‘s been great to come back. It brings some new life to what we’ve had over the past couple of months,” Lebo said.  

McGuire agrees that back to school is always an exciting time, and this year was no exception. 

“It’s exciting because you’re met with a lot of possibilities of what things could be, so that feels very hopeful,” McGuire said. 

Regardless of the circumstances revolving around back to school this year, the amazing teachers at LaPorte High School have remained positive and diligent with safety precautions, as well as constantly changing standards and procedures.