Color-coded plan for the 2020/2021 school year

After six months in quarantine, students finally returned to LPHS on August 24th. Although given the choices of traditional learning, distance learning, and homeschooling, around 60% of students decided to come back to school physically. 

Several precautions have been put into effect to keep students and staff safe, but one of the most important ones is the blue, yellow, orange, and red plan.

This plan consists of each county being evaluated on the number of new cases per 100,000 residents and the percentage of tests confirming COVID-19 cases. Blue represents low to no cases/spreading, yellow represents moderate spread of the virus, orange represents moderate to high community spreading, red indicates high spreading and suggests schools go online.

The map will be updated by state officials every Wednesday.

Throughout all of this madness, Principal Alber has done a fantastic job of keeping LPHS in order and safe. Some precautions in effect are directional stairways, reduced lunch sizes, and wearing masks.

“Admittedly, it is not the best circumstances for a first year, but I believe we need to constantly challenge ourselves and accept leadership opportunities when they arise,” Alber said.

He has also focused on giving attention and help to at home students.

“I think both students and teachers have learned better methods to learn/instruct virtually since March,” Alber said. “Students need to make a commitment to login everyday and stay current with the expectations.”

Students and staff in school have been working hard to maintain safety by wearing masks, sanitizing their desks and hands, and, of course, social distancing.

“I am pretty happy with being back at school. It’s really good to be able to see people again. Everyone has been doing well with wearing masks which is really relieving,” senior Payton Joseph said.

LPHS teachers have been experiencing changes in curriculum, classes, and procedures. For example, many of the physical education teachers are now in charge of SRTs.

“I’m excited to be back to school and have an SRT. I want things to start getting back to some type of routine. Being back at school definitely helps that. Hopefully things start calming down,” gym teacher Mr. Kuzdas said. 

Many teachers are doing hybrid classes which means they are teaching both online and in person. Certain courses have been split so that students can get the full experience whether they are at home or in school. Mrs. Rice’s AP Environmental Science class often has Zoom calls where option two students can join activities and even do partner work with traditional students.

As of right now, La Porte is in the blue category. Keep practicing social distancing and wearing masks so that the only change in this number is seeing it decrease.