Maudlin named National Merit Semifinalist

Senior Jill Maudlin has recently been named as a National Merit Scholarship Semifinalist.

The National Merit Scholarship is a prestigious academic scholarship competition in recognition of student achievement on the PSAT. Approximately 16,000 students nationwide were named Semifinalists.

Maudlin was surprised by the honor.

“I was shocked. Making it this far in the competition is such an honor, and I’m so happy to be included among these incredible students,” Maudlin said.

Maudlin is driven by the thrill of understanding her surroundings. She loves learning something new in class and then getting to be in awe at the world around her. She has always especially had a passion for science. 

“I have an insatiable thirst for knowledge; I’ve always wanted to learn as much as possible. That’s why physiology is the perfect fit for me. It has the ability to explain the entire world to those who care enough to pursue it,” Maudlin said.

She is always looking for new opportunities to grow as a learner. Maudlin has been accepted into and attended three different science camps: a Life Sciences residential camp, a Molecular Medicine symposium, and an online class about Environmental Ethics. While at the Life Sciences camp, she and a team worked together to characterize a cancer cell line and they created a treatment program. This was a selective camp held at Notre Dame. 

The Molecular Medicine camp allowed her to study medical ethics and research techniques down in Indianapolis with fellow Hoosier high school students. Maudlin’s Environmental Ethics class was moved online, and she still had the chance to study atmospheric and oceanic science in addition to statistics and programming. In October, she will be spending time on an online research internship that focuses on diabetes. Maudlin will be receiving college credits for each class that is transferable to whichever school she attends. 

Maudlin is highly involved in school and the community. She founded the Slicer Mentor Club, with the help of her sister, Paige Maudlin, and started a homework hotline for students who need guidance during their distance learning. She’s an active participant in Spell Bowl, Science Olympiad, and Academic Super Bowl. Every week, Maudlin also volunteers at LaPorte Hospital. She has painted eight murals both at local schools and small businesses. She also is a student representative for the YMCA Advocacy Board and is involved with Indiana Youth and Government.  

Maudlin hopes to double major in Neuroscience and Physics in Medicine on the Pre-med track. She would love to study these at Notre Dame. If she can’t attend ND, she would enjoy double majoring in Neuroscience and Biophysics at Duke University.

Even with her impressive resume, Maudlin remains humble. 

“I would like to emphasize that my accomplishments are not mine alone. They were made possible by my entire support system: my family, my friends, and my mentors. I would like to thank anyone who has ever lent me a helping hand. Your kindness has not gone unnoticed,” Maudlin said.