Slicers engage in science

Micheal Tuholski, Slicer educator, is turning his classroom into a must have for Slicer students interested in science.

Tuholski has been teaching at LaPorte High School for four years. He teaches Biology, AP Research, Principles of Biomedical Science and Human Body Systems, which are a part of the Project Lead the Way program at LPHS. 

The Project Lead the Way Biomedical program has been around for a few years, but this is Tuholski’s first year teaching it. This consists of Principles of Biomedical Science, which is the first year course students take, and then Human Body Systems is the follow up course. There are two more classes for this program that are Medical Interventions and Biomedical Innovations, but sadly LaPorte does not offer those classes. 

Principles of Biomedical Science is an overview of several different fields that can be done with biomedicine. One of the units is based off of working in the hospital, but there is also a forensics unit, which challenges students to solve an unknown death. The other unit is about emergencies and outbreaks and what to do if they occur. The last unit is innovation that is about medical and drug development. 

During the forensics unit, the students are given a case of a woman who died while working in a lab. The class has no knowledge of what happened to the woman, so they have to analyze the scene and do several types of testing. They look at brain tissue samples and later in the year, when they study medicine, they will practice doing a phlebotomy on the woman. Tuholski’s classes involve several labs and hands-on learning activities.

In Human Body Systems, which is an Anatomy and Physiology based class, students can look forward to dissecting sheep brains, cow eyes, leg bones and livers.

Tuholski is all about teaching interactively. His class has been working on making a skeleton out of clay to represent the different regions of the body and organs. They will be working continuously on these skeletons throughout the school year. 

Any students who love hands-on science, should sign up when it is time to schedule.

“They are really fun interactive courses. You need to be prepared to do lots of projects and be independent to learn on your own because it’s not a traditional class where I lecture and then you take a test.  I do very little lecturing. It’s a lot about learning through hands-on experience, and I think most kids have a lot of fun with that. I think some kids though, it’s a big transition because you’re so used to lecture test lecture test, and now to be doing these independent projects and labs, and kind of just learn through that experience. I think it does stick with them better, but it is a bit of a transition for some kids that um you need to be aware of that difference in traditional class,” Tuholski said.