Wurster widens safety at LaPorte schools

LPCSC’s custodial staff throughout the district has been working extra diligently this school year to help keep down COVID-19 cases while in person instruction is occurring. They have been successful in keeping staff and students safe. Mr. Wurster, the head custodian for LPHS appreciates the challenges brought by COVID and is staying positive at work. 

Wurster has worked in the custodial department for 19 years, starting in early 2002 as a third shift supervisor at LPHS. In 2004, Wurster transferred to Kesling Middle School to work as the head custodian, gaining valuable leadership experience. After two years at Kesling, Wurster transferred back to the high school to work as the head custodian. 

As the head custodian, Wurster oversees and works with the janitorial staff on a variety of tasks around LPHS. Some duties include monitoring the heat and air conditioning around the school, snow removal and salting the sidewalk during the winter, tree trimming in the summer, inspecting fire extinguishers to make sure they are up to standards, overall school cleanliness, and pool maintenance. 

In addition to these jobs, COVID safety protocols are also overseen by the janitorial staff and Wurster. These duties include sanitizing tables and chairs, specifically in the cafeteria, and helping sanitize various surfaces across the school. 

“I’ve had many great experiences working in the custodial department over the years. I would have to say that my most rewarding part of my job to date is working through this odd school year during a pandemic. Never in my life would I or anyone else think this could happen to us, but by working as one big team between the administrators, teachers, and students, I’d say I’ve been a part winning team at LaPorte Schools,” Wurster said. 

Mr. Wurster helps keep the clean and safe environment that all students and staff need to succeed. Teachers and students alike are fortunate to have such a hard working individual in the corporation. 

Activate Search