A look into the 2021 LPSB season

Tori Kegebein, Editor

With COVID-19 swiping last year’s season from them, LPHS’ Softball (LPSB) Team is back to steal bases this year.

The team started official practices again and had their first game on Friday, March 30th. The girls have been hard at work perfecting their skills to ensure that this highly anticipated season goes just the way they want it to. 

LPSB has three to four games a week in the afternoon, and on Saturdays they are in the morning. 

Since COVID-19 stole their previous season, it is many of the girls’ first time being able to play.

“I am very excited to play with my friends and to just play in general. Since our season was canceled last year, I have been itching to play for the high school team again,” varsity shortstop player Peyton Harlow said.

For the five seniors, this season will be their last season, so they plan on performing to the best of their abilities.

“All around we have a pretty good team. Our left side is really fast and solid. That’s what you need for a team. I’m excited because we didn’t get a season last year, and I’m super close with the team, so I’m excited to play with my friends. I can’t wait to get on the field again since we haven’t played in two years,” varsity catcher Becca Marxman said.

So far this season, LPSB has played numerous games and given them their all. The Slicers’ record sits at 8-6, and they are 5-3 in the DAC.

The girls have won against Hobart, Portage, Chesterton, Michigan City, South Bend Clay, Plymouth, Merrillville, and New Prairie. LPSB lost against Munster, Valparaiso, Lakeshore, New Prairie, Crown Point, and Chesterton.

Due to weather, some LPSB games have been canceled recently, but as soon as the skies clear up, the girls will be back on the field ready to play.