Jackson excels after early graduation

Slicer Mikaelah Jackson is a stellar example of hard work paying off. 

After graduating an entire semester early, Jackson received the Sam Masarachia Scholarship from IUPUI, which covers the entirety of her tuition. 

Continuing her education at IUPUI, Jackson wants to major in Pre-Nursing and minor in Medical Humanities and Health Studies. Jackson, ultimately, wants to become a travel nurse. 

“I am not 100% on the field, but I’m going to try everything before I decide,” Jackson said. 

Her early graduation allowed her time to focus and prepare for the interview process for the prestigious Sam Masarachia Scholarship. After many rigorous interviews, Jackson received the news she was the deserving recipient.

“I was super excited and also really relieved. Now, I won’t have to worry about how to pay for college as much as I would have if I didn’t get it. Also, it was amazing because I now have connections on campus,” Jackson said.

Also, Jackson’s early graduation helped her to advance her career in nursing. Jackson is in the process of receiving her CNA certification to get in-person experience for her future career. 

“Gradating early gave me the opportunity to go to school to become a CNA through Ivy Tech before I head down to college,” Jackson said. 

While in high school, Jackson challenged herself academically by taking a variety of AP classes, such as AP Literature and AP Seminar, to ensure she was prepared for the future. She also participated in various clubs, such as Leo Club, Girls Reserves, Work Ethic, and National Honors Society. 

“Mikaelah Jackson is one of the kindest, most thoughtful, genuine souls to walk the planet. I am so proud of her accomplishments. I can’t think of anyone more deserving for that reward,” Mrs. McGuire said. 

Jackson continues to excel past her high school career, and LaPorte High School anticipates great achievements in her future.