LPHS names valedictorians, salutatorian

LaPorte High School announced Sophie Sorg and Jill Maudlin as co-valedictorians and Laramie Lilly as salutatorian. 

Being completely tied for the spot, Sorg and Maudlin both had 145 points for the position while Lilly had 133 points. The points are based off of grades, AP, dual credit, honors classes, and amount of credits earned. 

All three of the students are deserving of this monumental award. These girls continue to showcase the dedication of a Slicer through their hard work and determination to their schooling. 

Sorg kept herself busy throughout high school by participating in Girls Reserve and numerous other types of community service, such as hosting the annual Sorg Wiffleball Tournament. She also competed in both travel and high school softball. Completing her entire senior year online, Sorg continued to maintain her 4.0 GPA. During her time at LPHS, her favorite classes were AP World History, AP Chemistry, and Genetics. Sorg is attending Indiana University Northwest with aspirations of becoming either an oncologist or a family doctor. 

Sorg was ecstatic to hear she was the recipient of the title of co-valedictorian. 

“I felt excited and relieved at the same time. I was so happy I got it but also felt like a big weight was taken off my shoulders. I had been worried about it, and I have been trying so hard for the past couple years to get it,” Sorg said. 

Maudlin consistently pushed herself to be the best student she could be while being the co-founder and president of the Slicer Mentor Club, participating in Spell Bowl, and being an active member of Academic Super Bowl. AP Biology, Yearbook, and Genetics were some of Maudlin’s favorite classes while attending LPHS. Maudlin is continuing her education at the University of Notre Dame and will be double majoring in Neuroscience and Physics in Medicine. She plans on becoming a neurosurgeon or peripheral nerve surgeon.

When Maudlin received the news she was co-valedictorian, she was elated.

“I was thrilled to be recognized as one of the top students in LaPorte High School. I am proud of myself and my fellow valedictorian and salutatorian,” Maudlin said. 

Lilly maintained her 4.0 while competing in both track and cross country. She also participated in Academic Super Bowl, Envirothon, and National Honor Society. While at LPHS, Lilly’s favorite classes included AP Environmental Science, AP World History, and AP Literature and Composition. In the fall, she is attending Purdue University with aspirations of being a Mechanical Engineer. 

Lilly was astounded to learn she was LPHS’ salutatorian. 

“I was surprised because I thought that there was no way. I didn’t think I could do that,” Lilly said.  

LaPorte High School is proud of these girls and their accomplishments. LPHS cannot wait to see what the future holds for these Slicers.