Envirothon places fourth at state

LPHS’s Envirothon team placed fourth at the virtual state competition. This year has been unlike any other in terms of how the competitions are held, but the team persisted nonetheless. 

The small five member team composed of Remi Cernel, Isaac Chezum, Laramie Lilly, Jill Maudlin, and Sarita Pillari competed online after three weeks of studying and preparing for the test. During a normal school year, teams would meet once every two weeks to go over material and meet with a guest speaker to prepare for the competition. In non-COVID-19 school years, students had five guest speakers who were all active community members and environmentalists come in and lecture. The goal for the guest speakers is to spark an interest in students about different environmental and local issues and to further prepare the students for the competition; however, due to COVID-19 restrictions, this was unable to occur this year. 

Most of the members of Envirothon take AP Environmental Science during their junior or senior years but are not required to take the class to be a part of the club. In fact, two out of the five competitors have not taken the class and learned the material just for Envirothon competitions. 

The competition itself features a test taken in groups of five over five different testing areas including current issues, forestry, soil, aquatics, and wildlife. LPHS placed fourth overall and first in presentation statewide. The 10-12 minute presentation itself consists of an oral presentation on current event topics. Accompanying the oral presentation is a research paper and slideshow. This year’s topic was water usage and emergency preparedness. This is the fifth year in a row that the team has advanced to state competitions.

Envirothon mentor and LPHS science teacher Mrs. Rice is thrilled at the results and proud of students for their hard work and passion for the subjects. 

“I am really proud of how the kids did, especially on short notice and not much study time,” Rice said.