LaPorte girls tennis volleys for a successful season

The LaPorte High School Girls’ Tennis team served up an ace this season. 

After losing last season due to COVID-19, the LPGT picked up right where they left off and with even more hunger this time. 

“I feel like we bounced back well, and the players were eager to play,” Slicer coach Don Varda said. 

The season may be over, but the girls put up a fight all season. In the DAC, the Slicers went 6-1, finishing second behind Crown Point. Overall, the team went 15-4, and 14-2. The #2 doubles team of senior Ally Zila and junior Macy Mrozinski even finished with a perfect 20-0 record.

Just last week, the team dominated at Sectionals, winning their 7th consecutive title. Their season came to an end at Regionals where they fought hard but unfortunately took a loss to Penn High School. 

The Varsity team was made up of a mixture of sophomore through seniors. Singles is made up of junior Katelyn Friis, sophomore Emily Siefker, and junior Haleigh Miller. Doubles consists of senior Molly Reed, junior Aniya Kennedy, senior Allison Zila, and junior Macy Mrozinski. 

Without a tremendous support system from the coaches, the girls’ tennis team wouldn’t be where they are today. Their constant encouragement helps to challenge and enhance the girls’ abilities. 

The coaches for the girls tennis team are made up of Heather Boklund, Joe Woods, Melissa Butts, and Don Varda.

Varda’s experience with tennis started when he played in high school. He has been coaching tennis for more than 10 years. Woods started playing as a freshman in high school, where he played on the number one team in the state. Boklund started playing tennis when she was three years old and played varsity singles until she was in an accident in college that caused her to stop playing. Butts started coaching tennis five years ago. With the support of her athletes, she has improved with them throughout the years. 

“This team really is a family. We keep each other up, we cheer each other on, and we wish each other the best,” Butts said. 

Though the season has come to an end, the legacy of this year’s tennis team will make LP proud for years to come.