Slater soars to administration

1,006 Views

Though many LPCSC staff members have retired or moved around this school year, there is one educator who teachers and students are glad to see in the hallways still- Mr. Slater. Formerly a history teacher at LPHS, Slater is now an assistant principal who is excited to be in his new position.

Slater is currently embarking on his eighth year in education. He was inspired to become a history teacher by his love of working with students and watching them grow. Slater’s move to administration was prompted by many telling him that he would make a great administrator. 

I was told quite a few times that I could make a good administrator. I thought about it for a while, sought some wise counsel, and then started pursuing an administrative degree soon after,” Slater said. 

Slater’s favorite aspect of his career in education and administration is the students. He loves learning about them and considers that the best part of his difficult job. 

“I feel like it’s easier to get to the heart of an issue with students as an administrator. You are forced to learn a lot about a student fast. I love seeing people begin to make wiser choices and better their life little by little,” Slater said. 

Slater has broad goals for this school year, all of which revolve around making a difference in the lives of students and colleagues around him. 

“This school year, I want to be a constant source of positivity for those around me, offer new perspectives, make a difference in at least one person’s life, and believe,” Slater said. 

With a job as tolling as a high school administrator can be, Slater comes into work every day with motivation and determination, with his biggest source of motivation being from his former coaches and teachers. He wants to take the lessons they taught him and pass them onto students at LPHS. 

“I had some amazing coaches and teachers in my life. I want to pay it forward and help someone change for the better,” Slater said. 

In his free time, Slater enjoys spending time with his family, including his wife and two daughters. As much as he loves his job, being a dad comes first to him.

LPHS’s students and staff are in great hands with Slater helping make the school a safe and welcoming place for all students to learn.