Suicide prevention and awareness month

September is National Suicide Prevention and Awareness month. According to the National Institute of Mental Health, suicide was the tenth leading cause of death in the United States in 2019. For age groups between 10-34 years old, it was the second leading cause. On average, 132 people in the US take their own lives each day. 

According to Oaklawn, a provider of mental health and addiction services in Indiana, the state is one of the top 10 states for suicide in age groups between 10-24. 1 in every 9 sixth-graders (11.8%) and 1 in 5 tenth-graders (19.3%) in Indiana said they considered suicide at one point last year. Every eight hours, a Hoosier commits suicide. 

Many students at LPHS are unaware of all the mental health and suicide prevention resources available to them at school. 

Counselors at LPHS are available to talk to any student who is having suicidal thoughts or is experiencing poor mental health. Slicers can reach them through email or through talking to another one of your teachers. Students who are interested can join the Bring Change to Mind group. They meet during SRT in room B11 on Thursdays. It’s led by Mrs. Rosenbaum who is a mental health counselor and a recipient of the Indiana Suicide Prevention Educator Award for her involvement in youth suicide prevention. 

The number for the National Suicide Prevention Hotline is 1-800-273-TALK (the Spanish speaking line is 1-877-784-2432). Its crisis text line is 741741. 

Students are not alone. Getting help does not make anyone weak. These feelings won’t last forever. There is always a reason to keep going even if one hasn’t found it yet. Somebody cares.