Conklin takes over Slicer office

After 19 years of Mrs. Rice being the friendly face at the front desk in the main office, LPHS has welcomed a new leader–Mrs. Conklin.

Conklin’s positive and welcoming demeanor as well as her connection with the community and staff and students of LPHS make her a perfect replacement. She decided the new position was the right move for her and the change she needed in her life.

“I like to help the students and the community, so when I took this position I felt like I was being better utilized for that,” Conklin said.

Her job consists of many behind the scenes activities. She does all the printing for the school, greets and directs visitors, answers the phones, handles the outgoing and incoming mail, makes announcements, and maintains the lost and found. Conklin’s favorite part of the job is seeing the students every day and helping the parents and staff.

Besides helping LPHS run smoothly, Conklin took on the major role of being the Girls Reserve sponsor. She runs the meetings and helps find volunteer opportunities around the community for the GR girls to do. She was also a GR member when she was in high school.

Before she worked in the main office, she worked in Student Services for one year. She enjoyed working in that position, but it wasn’t enough students and community involvement for her huge heart. She valued her position there but knew that she could be more of an asset somewhere else.

“My initial impression was that I wasn’t interested, but I thought about it, and about how I wanted to serve the school. I knew this would be the best position for me,” Conklin said.

Conklin is not only a valued Slicer family member, but also a wonderful person outside of school. Her family takes up a great deal of her time, with many hours being spent in Slicer Gym watching both of her daughters who were all-conference volleyball players. Conklin enjoys going to the beach as well as reading. Her favorite genres are mystery and crime.

LPHS hit the jackpot getting Mrs. Conklin to be the friendly first face at school.