McCoy to pass on title of SRO

1,372 Views

Slicer Resource Officer Marvin McCoy has been an indispensable part of LPHS for the past eight years. With his friendly demeanor and focused attitude, McCoy’s impact will be long lasting on Slicer students and staff. 

Before becoming a school resource officer, McCoy started out 26 years ago in the jail division at the Sheriff’s Department. After that, he was promoted to patrol officer and spent 16 years in the position. Since then, he’s worked as the resource officer for LPHS. 

Having two young kids inspired McCoy to move from his patrol position to his current one. He coached Little League and slow-pitch softball, and the extra time spent around children made for a smooth transition into the job at the high school. 

“When the position opened, it just felt very natural. I was being called to do it; there was this internal push to jump on the position,” McCoy said. 

McCoy starts his day by supervising the hallways before classes start. After the morning bell he looks through calls of service– assignments for law enforcement that require their presence to resolve– for the past 24 hours to see what’s happening in the community.

“It’s important for me to know what’s going on in the community because sometimes those things can impact our school days,” McCoy said.

He uses the rest of his day to catch up on paperwork and reports, meet with different students, and do some patrolling around the school. Recent bathroom vandalism has been a main concern of his. 

McCoy has learned a considerable amount through being a resource officer. The most important, in his opinion, has been communication and consistency. It was difficult for him to be consistent and follow up on things when he was a patrol officer because he was often assigned to different areas of patrol everyday. Working on one side of town one day and another on a different day meant that it was hard to touch base with people. Working at LPHS made it easier to do follow ups if he needed to talk with somebody again. 

“That follow through is really important because people need to know that we [the police] are doing our very best to solve issues and get to the bottom of things,” McCoy said.

McCoy has had a great experience working at LPHS. 

“Since I got here, I have received a very warm welcome from staff and students, and that has not stopped. Students and staff have been very good to me, and I’m so thankful for that,” McCoy said. 

` In addition to having a good experience himself, everyone was also wonderful to McCoy’s wife who worked in VLA services for a couple of years. McCoy is also thankful that he had access to his own kids during the school day when they were attending high school.

“It was really unique and special. A lot of parents unfortunately don’t have that level of access to their kids while they’re at school,” McCoy said. 

McCoy is grateful for the opportunities he was presented with outside of school while being a resource officer. His children were in marching band, so he frequently traveled with them, including on a band trip to Disney World. He also went to Spain with the foreign languages club at the time. 

“That was the first time I had ever traveled outside of the United States, and doing that with 40 teenagers was pretty unique, but it was a great time,” McCoy said. 

McCoy officially retires from his position as Slicer Resource Officer after winter break. He’s currently going through the process of training his replacement, Officer Deck. Deck worked in courts for many years as well as attending law school for a time. 

“I’ve known him for many years; I’ve always thought very highly of him. He knows a lot about the law, so he understands how to approach being a resource officer without violating the rights of students,” McCoy said. 

It was difficult for McCoy to pick a successor. While looking through the men and women of the department, he kept coming back to Deck. McCoy is firm in his belief that Deck has what it takes to be a resource officer. 

“I know that he has the disposition to do this kind of work because it’s unique, it’s different than patrol. You need to be patient. I’m really excited about him coming into this environment and about how he’s going to make this his own,” McCoy said. 

Students and staff alike are going to miss McCoy’s calm and caring demeanor around the halls of LPHS.

“Officer McCoy has been a steadfast presence in the halls of LaPorte High School for many years. He has been supportive and fair to our students. He will be greatly missed,” said LPHS English teacher Mrs. Cooper.

LPHS is grateful for the years of service McCoy has given and wishes him the best in his future endeavors with the police department.