FFA visits National Convention in Indianapolis

LaPorte High School’s FFA chapter recently attended the 94th National FFA Convention in Indianapolis.

LaPorte High School’s FFA was excited to attend the National FFA Convention, which welcomed nearly 69,000 attendees to help young adults learn the importance of agriculture. The different competitions provide a way for the students to test their knowledge and skills. Many events consist of raising and training cattle, testing soil samples, and tending to growing plants. Audrey Jeffers, president of FFA, recently participated in the Creed Speaking Event for the first time in LaPorte history.

“We’re all a bunch of agriculture kids. We love crops, soils, bugs, livestock, anything. We include everyone. During the competitions, we take the students who work hard, and have them compete. There’s so many different events, and we have a great group of people who compete in them,” Jeffers said.

After leaving early in the morning on Wednesday, The FFA group arrived at the convention for a stay of three days. Different booths had been set up for all the students. These booths consisted of agriculture tips, job opportunities, and experienced workers for the students to ask questions and learn more about their club. They attended discussions, competed in events, and talked to agriculturally experienced attendees.

“The convention is a great leadership opportunity, and a chance to represent our chapter and our school. It brings kids into agriculture, giving them a chance to see what people do,” Tuholski said.

At the convention, members have the opportunity to earn different awards such as the American-Star awards or Honorary Awards, given to FFA members who have completed a supervised agricultural experience program, showing they have developed outstanding agricultural skills and competencies. FFA also offers a chance to earn grants and scholarships to help students on their way to college.

“People from all over America were at the convention, and because of this a lot of agriculture kids were able to see job opportunities and ways to help them and their love for agriculture. FFA offers so many opportunities, and it’s a great way to earn money for college,” Jeffers said.

According to ffa.org, The Future Farmers of America (FFA) is an American youth organization, specifically a career and technical student organization, based on middle and high school classes that promote and support agricultural education. Jestine Davenport and Rebecca Tuholski, teachers at LaPorte High School and FFA sponsors, help the students learn about and experience agriculture in LaPorte to help prepare them for the future.

“I love my students, especially the ones we take to conventions. There are a lot of really great leaders in FFA, and as a teacher, I try to provide students with everything that I can. The hands-on projects that we do definitely make it more fun,” Tuholski said.

In order to join FFA, they recommend you first enroll in an agriculture class at school. In some instances, students who do not have an FFA chapter in their schools have been able to join FFA chapters in neighboring school districts. Then you get a hold of the sponsors or president of the club, and sign up. The FFA consists of hard working individuals who are always willing to help teach others about agriculture.