Three LPCSC teachers attend Indiana Teacher Bootcamp

Marybeth Lebo, art teacher at LPHS, Angie LaRocco, business teacher at LPHS, and Bonnie DeWolf, social studies teacher at LPMS, are among a group of 50 teachers in the state of Indiana who have been chosen for the Indiana Department of Education’s Teacher Leaders Bootcamp. 

This program helps educators learn mentoring and new classroom techniques aimed towards helping students reach their full potential. Teachers learn ways to gather and analyze data for action research. 

The University of Chicago Impact has partnered with the Department of Education in order to help teachers learn more skills concerning school improvement and academic achievement. UChicago Impact has decades of research that has revolutionized education. 

The bootcamp meets six to seven times a year, with two in person meetings a year on a Saturday and the rest are done on weekdays virtually. At the meetings, educators work on their action research projects where they focus on one topic and gather and test data for a presentation in May. 

The presentation is a combination of a year of work and research around various chosen topics that teacher leaders feel would be beneficial to their schools and classrooms. For example, Mrs. Lebo has acquired new ideas for art projects that help incorporate social and emotional learning into the assignments. She hopes this will help students find a healthy outlet for their emotions.

Lebo believes that being chosen to be in the program will help her implement many new opportunities for LPHS and for her personally, grow as an educator. 

“I am implementing social emotional learning concepts into my art projects giving the students an opportunity to grow. It is so exciting to take in all of the information provided, and it means the world that I was selected to represent LPHS. The program gives endless opportunities for growth as an educator,” Lebo said. 

LPCSC is excited to reap the benefits of the new skills and concepts learned by this group of dedicated educators.