Military Family Month

Military Family Month

November is Military Family Appreciation Month, a time when Americans honor and recognize the sacrifices and challenges America makes in support of their family members in uniform.

Many Slicers have family serving the country.

Isabella Edwards, a sophomore at LaPorte High School, has a full military family. With five family members in the Army, two family members in the Air Force, and a great uncle who fought in World War II, Edwards has experienced many of the highs and lows of militeral family.

“I’m grateful for everything that they have done, and I know that it’s not easy to live your life in the military. It can be very straining on a family when you’re not able to see your loved ones for an extended period of time, especially with so many of my family members being gone at the same time,” Edwards said.

Edward’s father and Uncle joined the Army after the terrorist attack on September 11, 2001, along with 181,510 other Americans. Edward’s father was later deployed, but he was brought back home soon after.

“It was a really scary time for my Mom and me. He couldn’t always get in contact with us, and sometimes you just didn’t know what was going to happen. He and my mom had to rush their wedding because he was supposed to get deployed again, but thankfully he wasn’t. Because of his job, he’s missed out on quite a few things in my life, such as volleyball games, birthdays, and other holidays,” Edwards said.

Kylie Lowe, another sophomore at LaPorte High School, has also lived the military family life. Her father is a retired Marine who used to work as a plane mechanic. Throughout his military career, Lowe’s father has experienced many memorable stories. From enemy attacks, to police chases, all the way to airplanes dropping from the middle of the sky, he has many heroic experiences under his belt.

“My father experienced a lot through the military, but my mom was definitely affected also. During the early years of my older sister’s life, my mother would be home taking care of her while my father would have to go away for work. Everything he has done for us has been amazing, I couldn’t have asked for a better father, but it was a really scary time,” Lowe said.

Jacob Cooper, son of Rachel Cooper, a nurse at LaPorte High School, joined the marines in 2019. Jacob works on C-1 Airplanes at a base in Fort Worth, Texas.

“It’s sad that he won’t be coming home for the holidays, and we’ll miss him, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. He chose this direction and we support him,” Cooper said.

Our country, and community, honors the sacrifice of these brave families today and everyday.