Spider-Man: No Way Home

The Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) spans 26 movies with plots that intertwine intricately with one another. Its heroes have inspired and entertained millions of people since Iron Man was released in 2008. It also happens to be both my favorite movie franchise and current home to the beloved web-slinger, Spider-Man. 

However, the first Spider-Man movie wasn’t released by Disney. In 2002, the first Spider-Man movie directed by Sam Raimi and starring Tobey Maguire as Peter Parker was released. The character was still owned by Sony Entertainment at the time. In the following years, two more would be released, forming the original Spider-Man trilogy. Even with the films’ quirks and flaws, I think that most people can appreciate them for what they are: solid representations of Peter Parker’s personality and story line. 

In 2014, seven years after the release of the third and final Sam Raimi Spider-Man film, Sony decided to reboot the franchise, calling it The Amazing Spider-Man. Only two of these films were made. They were directed by Marc Webb and Andrew Garfield was casted as Peter Parker. Although these movies are fairly controversial in regards to the “Who’s the best Spider-Man?” debate, Garfield definitely is my favorite of the three. He genuinely loved and respected this character, and it showed in his performance. 

Then, in 2015, Marvel Studios and Sony reached an agreement about the rights of Spider-Man, and the character was handed over to Disney. He was integrated into the MCU in 2016 through the movie Captain America: Civil War and is played by the current Spider-Man actor, Tom Holland. This was followed by the first solo Spider-Man movie in the MCU, Spider-Man: Homecoming, released in 2017 and directed by Jon Watts. The MCU Spider-Man movies have been well received overall, and most people enjoy Holland’s portrayal–myself included.

So far, there’s been immense speculation about what’s in store for Marvel’s third Spider-Man movie Spider-Man: No Way Home. I know I’m not the only one who’s absolutely bouncing off the walls and full of excitement for this film. What makes it so special? In the past year, the multiverse has opened up in the MCU. This means that characters from other non-Disney Marvel franchises now have an opening to appear in the MCU alongside those Disney-owned characters. 

It’s rumored that both Maguire and Garfield’s Spider-Man characters will appear in the movie alongside Holland. This is due to the fact that the original Spider-Man movie’s first villain, Doctor Octopus, has already been confirmed to be in No Way Home and even appeared in some of the trailers. This is a huge deal. If Marvel is able to integrate even more characters from other franchises, there’s no limit to what storylines they could give their audience. 

I personally have an attachment to Spider-Man. I grew up watching the movies and always felt deeply connected to the character. I’m going to be seeing No Way Home on December 16, and I cannot wait to experience this piece of cinema in the theater. I know that I’ll have so much to say about it once I see it, so I’ll be reporting back with my review by the time next semester rolls around.