Spider-Man: No Way Home review

December 16, 2021 is a night that will go down as one of the best movie theater experiences of my entire life. The anticipation, the theories, the sheer excitement all leading up to one movie: Spider-Man: No Way Home. The third installment of the Marvel Cinematic Universe’s Spider-Man franchise has finally been released into theaters. It’s been highly praised with some of the best ratings of any Spider-Man film. It’s even become the top-grossing movie of 2021. This isn’t a coincidence; the film is absolutely fantastic. 

I want to talk about some of the details of the movie, so let that be a warning to those who haven’t seen it yet: spoilers ahead! 

It’s no stretch to say that No Way Home exceeded the expectations of most. Some even viewed it as “over-delivering” on its promises. I don’t think that it would’ve been possible to make a more perfect ending–or new beginning–for Peter Parker’s character. Quite a few viewers had complaints about Tom Holland’s Spider-Man being inaccurate to the comics and taking away some of the traits that made him Peter Parker. The movie actually pulled a move that’s pretty common in the comics. By erasing Peter from everyone’s memories, he was given a fresh new start. This includes putting him back in the circumstances that make him resemble everything that Spider-Man stands for. Now, he’s just an ordinary guy. He’s back to trying to pay rent and chasing after the girl; they’re all the things that make him a more relatable character for the audience. 

I also wanted to talk about the inclusion of the villains. They were one of the best parts of this movie, in my opinion. I’ve always loved Spider-Man’s adversaries for the reason that they all have a sympathetic storyline. Viewers want to feel for most of them and their struggles, which makes Peter’s journey to help them more significant. It was nice seeing characters like Doc Ock and Green Goblin again. They were the most entertaining parts of their respective movies to begin with. The way they interacted with each other was fascinating considering most of them either didn’t know each other or never had the opportunity to meet. 

Of course, there’s also the elephant in the room. Both Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield reprised their roles as Spider-Man. Besides Infinity War, I have never heard an audience explode as much as when Andrew’s Spidey stepped through that portal. I honestly think that I blacked out for a couple of seconds. It truly was everything that I could’ve hoped for and more. The moments when the three Spider-Men worked together were my favorite parts of the movie. The progress of their character arcs shined through in each of the actors’ performances.

After seeing the movie a total of three times in theaters, I would put it at the top of my rankings for best Marvel movies just underneath Avengers: Infinity War. For long-time Spider-Man fans, like myself, this movie was an amazing experience. The nostalgia plays a big role in the enjoyment of this film, but not so much that a casual viewer would be off-put by it, and I think that’s something Marvel has always done really well. In the end, I can definitely say that the opening week of Spider-Man: No Way Home is one that all Marvel fans will remember.