LaPorte welcomes Collins

Nichole Collins has recently joined the LPHS staff as the new Student Services administrative assistant.
“I love my new job. This is a job where I can go home and be excited about the next day, and the people make it better,” Collins said.
Collins previously worked as a substitute teacher for three years, starting out as a teaching aid at Riley Elementary School; working with Dr. Alber.
“When I worked at Riley, I had a lot of teachers tell me I should go back to school and get my degree, so I went back. I decided to become a substitute to test out the waters at all the schools, and afterwards, I decided I wanted to stay with the high schoolers, so here I am,” Collins said.
Collins attended IUSB for college after graduating from Plymouth High School. She intended to continue her schooling later on in life, but after the birth of her most recent child and her new job, she decided to put her plans on hold.
“I put my plans on hold, and when somebody told me about this position, I decided it was a great opportunity, and it really works with my schedule as a mom,” Collins said.
Collins has six children, one of them being a newborn. Collins was originally going to be a teacher, but after being offered the Student Services administrative assistant position, she decided it was a better fit for her in order to take care of her children and still be able to support students around the school.
“When I began as a teaching aid at Riley Elementary, it was really convenient because my kids attended school there. I spend as much time as I can with them, and my new job has a really great schedule so I can do that,” Collins said.
Collins has been working closely with the administrative team to help around the office and school. From taking care of cap and gowns for the graduating seniors, to helping the students and administrators with any problems they may have, Collins stays busy with her new job.
“I love working with the administrative team and especially the students. That was one of the things I really liked when I was suggested this job, and that’s one of the main reasons I took the job,” Collins said.
Dr. Alber, principal at LPHS, has come to greatly care for and appreciate the love and dedication Collins has for her job.
“We are very happy to have Mrs. Collins as our new Student Services Administrative Assistant. Mrs. Collins has served in many capacities in our school corporation and this role provides an opportunity for all to see her as a student advocate. She is well organized and a positive presence in our school. Mrs. Collins also took on a leadership role organizing our faculty Christmas Challenge, and it was well-received by those that participated,” Alber said.
Collins is excited for what her new job will bring and for the opportunity to get to know the students in her care. LPHS is ecstatic to have her join the family.