Callahan’s math skills enlighten a new generation

Kathleen Callahan has been teaching and making an impact at La Porte High School for five years, but her teaching career goes back much further.

Callahan began her teaching career at a boys’ military boarding school, originally applying for the position of an English teacher. Despite her English major in college, the school offered her the position of a math teacher, and she accepted. From there, Callahan taught at a Catholic middle school, spent ten years teaching at Marquette Catholic High School in Michigan City, and finally made her way home to La Porte High School.

Despite her arrival at LPHS five years ago, Callahan has lived in LaPorte for 22 years, moving here with her husband after college.

“It was time for me to put my time and my energy into my community, and not other places like Michigan City,” Callahan said.

The average workday for Callahan starts at 6:00 a.m. After arriving at the high school, she starts preparing for her classes. After the school day, she stays until 4:00 p.m. to help run and supervise the new homework program.

On top of helping students at school, Callahan goes out of her way to help them outside of school as well.

The homework program Callahan runs is an after-school program she, the National Honors Society (NHS), and other math teachers put together to help guide students down the right path academically.

“This year, the math department realized we needed to do something to help students, especially with COVID, so we partnered with the NHS to offer the homework help program, and really I just supervise and help people who need help, but the tutoring is mainly done by our NHS students,” Callahan said.

Her dedication to the math program and to her math students has helped kids all throughout her teaching career, and will continue to help many more.

“I was not a good math student so I get a lot of satisfaction from being able to help students understand,” Callahan said.

Outside of the classroom, Callahan is an avid reader, animal lover, Netflix binger, and Reins of Life volunteer, an organization that does horseback riding for people with disabilities. Callahan has been volunteering there for over 15 years.

“It’s my therapy, when I’m not at school, and not with my family, that’s where I like to spend my time. It’s a really cool place to be,” Callahan said.\

Callahan continues to give back to her community through both math and volunteering and is an excellent example of diligence at LPHS.