Kwasny keeps inspiring students after 34 years

Mackenzie Mullins, Staff writer

Teaching is not just a job to educators; it’s often a calling.

Becoming a teacher was more than educating students for LaPorte Middle School English teacher Laura Kwasny. It’s not just about educating for Kwasny, it is about building relationships with students and developing future leaders.

I enjoy kids and wanted the opportunity to profoundly impact the lives of children,” Kwansy said.

Kwasny began teaching in January of 1988. She has been teaching at LaPorte for 24 years and overall for 34.5 years. She has influenced students every year and still continues to thrive.

Kwasny’s favorite thing about being a teacher is being able to teach students but also being able to be a part of children’s lives and make the connections that she gets to form every year.

“I get so emotional every year at the end of the year. It’s hard to say goodbye. You make these connections all year long and then…summer,” Kwasny said.

Kwasny is not only an outstanding teacher but also an amazing coach. She has coached both girls’ and boys’ track as well as being the sponsor for Future Problem Solvers of America.

“I love teaching girls how to hurdle and some are amazed they can even do it. I coach academic teams as well at both the middle and high school. I enjoy coaching because I get to have fun and see the other sides of students. Future Problem Solvers has always been really fun, and my teams have almost always made it to the state competition, thankfully,” Kwasny said.

Kwasny’s students and athletes have felt the impact and devotion she brings.

“She was always very inclusive and very encouraging and always a positive role model,” junior Kate Thibideau said.

Kwasny’s love and passion for students hasn’t gone unnoticed by the staff and students of LPCSC. She continues to devote her life to teaching and educating her students and athletes about more than just school.

Teaching is not just a job. To Kwasny it is a calling.