National Honor Society at LPHS

The newest members of the LPHS National Honor Society (NHS) are soon to be initiated. According to Marybeth Lebo, the NHS sponsor, National Honor Society is a program that elevates a school’s commitment to the values of scholarship, service, leadership, and character. Students who participate not only strengthen their college applications, but are also eligible for a number of scholarships.  

“Membership opens you up to job and professional development opportunities, and gives you a chance to celebrate your successes. You’ll develop as a leader. It teaches you to become part of an organization,” Lebo said. 

The president of the NHS chapter at LPHS is senior Macy Mrozinski. She’s a recent recipient of the Lilly Endowment Community Scholarship, and a fantastic example of an NHS scholar. Members voted her in after reading a campaign speech posted on Canvas.

“I’ve known NHS was something I wanted to be a part of since freshman year. The club is so active in the community, and I love helping others. I thought becoming president would allow me to help the community on another level,” Mrozinski said. 

As president, Mrozinski organizes events, meets with sponsor Mrs. Lebo, and puts in extra work at community events not required for other members. NHS has had a positive impact on her personally, as well as being beneficial for the community, and she’s grateful for the lessons that she’s learned. 

“Everyone is capable of making a difference, no matter how big or small. Even the smallest acts of kindness can have the biggest impact on someone,” Mrozinski said. 

Although the deadline for getting a survey packet has passed, any junior or senior next year with a GPA of 3.5 or higher is able to apply for the program. The packet requires character references from two LPHS teachers who the student has had, and a character reference from a community member outlining the student’s leadership experience. Students must also provide information about extra curricular activities and community involvement as well as a personal reflection. 

The induction for new members of the National Honor Society will be on April 14th at 6pm in the LPHS PAC center.