McGuire returns to the halls of LPHS

2,213 Views

British philosopher Edmund Burke once said: “Those who don’t know history are doomed to repeat it.”

As a sophomore in high school, Sarah McGuire decided to dedicate her life to being a teacher so that she could help ensure those unfortunate moments in history are not repeated and that students are informed and prepared to create change.

McGuire graduated from LPHS in 2018 and is now a student at Valparaiso University where she is earning her Bachelor of Arts in History and education

I decided to become a teacher when I was a sophomore in high school, and I was torn between English and history. I ended up choosing history because it fascinates me, and I think that continuing to tell historical narratives is so important,” McGuire said.

The decision to become a teacher wasn’t one that was hard for her. In high school, McGuire was heavily influenced by teachers such as Mrs. Niksch, Mr. DeMass, and Mrs. White, who paved the way for McGuire’s passion to become an educator.
McGuire is currently a student teacher for Niksch’s regular U.S. History classes.
“I thoroughly enjoy having Miss McGuire in my classroom. She has a wonderful command of the content and a great rapport with the students. I think that she will make an excellent teacher, and I cannot wait to see what the future holds for her,” Mrs. Niksch said.

McGuire is learning alongside Niksch as she learns the ins and outs of teaching. 

“I love Mrs. Niksch’s classroom, but something I am most looking forward to about becoming a teacher is creating my own classroom culture and being able to incorporate my students in that,” McGuire said.

As a former Slicer, teaching at LPHS has been a dream of McGuire’s that she sees in her reach.

“I would love to work at LPHS. I would be thrilled to be able to work with such a great group of educators, students, and staff in the community that I grew up in,” McGuire said.

Becoming a teacher isn’t a job for everyone. The patience that it involves and the ongoing changes in education can deter people from the job, but for McGuire that is not a problem.

“The current dynamic of teaching makes me want to teach even more. Education is the foundation of any society, and strong teachers are essential; I want to be a part of that, even when faced with obstacles. One of the greatest challenges that teachers face is a lack of recognition and respect from those outside of the realm of education,” McGuire said.

Although McGuire hasn’t been teaching long, she has enjoyed all the experiences she has had as well as the bonds formed teaching the subject she loves.

My favorite part of being a teacher so far has been getting to connect with the staff and students here at LPHS while doing what I love, which is studying and discussing history,” McGuire said.

McGuire has already impacted many lives in the short amount of time she has been here.

“Her interactiveness with her students has helped not only me but also other students be more comfortable expressing ourselves and our opinions to her teaching tactics in order to help her evolve her teaching skills,” junior Pooja Verma said.

McGuire’s life doesn’t just reside in the halls of LPHS; she also has a second job at a bakery in Valpo and loves things involving both the indoors and video games.

“Outside of school, I stay pretty busy. I work at a local bakery, spend time with loved ones when I can, and care for my cat, Higgins. When I have the chance, I love to kayak, play Mario Kart, and go thrifting,” McGuire said.

Whether in the classroom at a bakery or anywhere in between, McGuire bleeds orange and black, especially now that she has gone full circle with the Slicer experience.

“I am a Slicer. I have come full circle from being a student here at LPHS to now teaching, which I love. Being a Slicer means having a community of support and love surrounding you at all times. I have made some of my best friends and met some of the most supportive people here, making me who I am today,” McGuire said.

McGuire can’t wait for the things that are to come not only in this semester but in her career as an educator. She has dedicated her life to keeping history from repeating itself and luckily LPHS is reaping the benefits of her talents.