Two-time state champion Ashton Jackson

Two-time state champion Ashton Jackson

Junior Ashton Jackson is now a two-time state champion for the LPHS wrestling team. After his 1-0 win in the 113lb weight class.

Jackson’s hard work on the mat this season paid off, but his second blue medal is just a step on his path to leave a legacy at LPHS.

“It feels pretty good winning State twice, but it’s not the end goal. The end goal is finishing out the next season undefeated, going out for national titles, and seeking for colleges,” Jackson said.

His passion for wrestling sparked when he brought a call-out flyer home for a little wrestling team at LP. 

“I brought a flyer home to my dad, who wrestled in high school, so he was beyond happy to take me to the kid club practices with Coach Kuzdas,” Jackson said.   

Jackson fell in love with wrestling and started training right then. For 11 years now, he has been training very hard and pushing himself to the limit every day to get where he is today. 

“The competition is my favorite part. Wrestling is unparalleled, it’s really you or the other guy. There are no draws and it is physical, so you can’t be soft. Before a competition I like to take a step back and just focus on my technique while getting my mind ready for the competition,” Jackson said.

With the support of his family, friends, and coaches, Jackson is thankful to have so many supporters carrying him through his memorable season. 

“I want to give a big thank you to my teammates and coaches for supporting me throughout this journey, especially Thomas Aldred who I have practiced with during the season. He has stayed persistent and didn’t back down, so I am very grateful for that, ” Jackson said.

The next season may be a year away, but Slicer Nation anticipates another medal being put around Jackson’s neck.