Intramural pickleball to start after spring break

This year, LaPorte High School will be hosting the first ever intramural pickleball tournament as the 2022 spring intramural sport.

For many years in the past, LPHS offered softball for its spring intramural sport, but after years of low turnout, the intramural sponsors decided to switch it up. Back in October of 2021, LPHS students voted on what the 2022 spring intramural should be, and pickleball won by a long shot. 

Pickleball practice will be starting on Tuesday, April 12th after school at the Kesling Park, pickleball courts at 3:15 p.m. Tournaments will start the following Tuesday, April 19th and will run every Tuesday through May 10th. Thursday will be used as rain make up days in the field house.

The cost is $5, and students can sign up in B.10 with Coach LaRocco or Coach Eason in the gym. Sign ups will end March 30th at 2:40.

Students from LPHS are ready for this new and exciting sport to be at the high school.

“I’m excited to play intramural Pickleball. I get to play with my friends and crush them in a sport I love,” junior Murphy Burke said.

This new sport is attracting athletes as well as non athletes, while creating new opportunities for students to get involved with their busy schedules. 

“Pickleball is a mix of several sports (tennis, badminton and ping pong) and will introduce a new level of competitive fun,” LaRocco said.