Tuholski’s time at LaPorte

Tuholski’s time at LaPorte

Michael Tuholski has been working at Laporte High school for five years, and had brought a new style of teaching to the students.

“I grew up right here in LaPorte and went to LPHS. My family has farmed in LaPorte for several generations. I attended Indiana University as an undergraduate and received a BS in Biology. I then attended the University of Wisconsin in Madison and received a Master’s of Science in Genetics while working in a genetics lab,” Tuholski said.

Currently Tuholski teaches Biology, AP Research, Principles of Biomedical Science, and Human Body Systems. He finds a passion in sciences.

“I studied science because I loved the method of using reasoning and data to discover new things about the world,” Tuholski said.

Tuholski is not only able to teach a subject he loves, but he is able to inspire students to have fun with science and the process of figuring things out at the same time.

“The best compliments I have ever gotten were from former AP Research
students who have kept in contact to tell me that the skills they learned in Research have helped them excel in college. They told me that they felt years ahead of their peers because they were able to find and read academic sources, construct and analyze arguments, and work independently. I even have a former Research student who has already joined a psychology research lab in her freshman year of college after being inspired by her high school AP Research project to pursue scientific research at the next level. Knowing I helped guide these kids along in their lives is a wonderful feeling,” Tuholski said.

Teaching four different classes keeps Tuholski busy, but he is still working hard in trying to improve the AP Research and PLTW program.

“Our PLTW Biomed program has been growing steadily for the past few years, and I would love to see it continue to grow. It’s a great way for students interested in medicine, forensics, or any biomedical career to learn some essential lab skills and have a lot of fun exploring different career options. I have also been developing the AP Research program more every year, and I am excited that so many students are developing creative projects and finding the program so worthwhile,” Tuholski said .

Tuholski has also had a great time working alongside his fellow coworkers. They have helped shape his time as a student and as a teacher.

“The science department is a fun, supportive group as a whole and Mr. Lindeman has been a great department head,” Tuholski said.

Tuholski plans on teaching at LPHS as long as he keeps learning new things. The students and staff are grateful to have such a passionate educator.