Gilliland set to retire

Gilliland set to retire

Among the many beloved teachers and staff who are set to retire after this school year is LPHS athletic director Ed Gilliland. 

Gilliland taught business at various schools in the area for 16 years, including six years at LPHS, before becoming athletic director, a position he has held for the past 25 years. 

Gilliland particularly enjoys seeing the successes that LPHS’s athletic teams earn. Though the position of athletic director can be demanding and time consuming, Gilliland is grateful for the opportunities that were presented during his time in the job. 

I enjoy when LPHS student athletes and coaches have success.  The relationships I have developed with athletes, coaches, colleagues and other athletic administrators throughout the state have been rewarding. Being the athletic director at the high school level is not a job; it is a lifestyle. To be successful, a lot of time and effort needs to be put into this position. While it can be frustrating at times, the successes that student athletes and coaches have make it all worthwhile,” Gilliland said. 

During retirement, Gilliland is looking forward to spending time with his grandchildren and being able to live a more leisurely lifestyle. 

Gilliland is grateful for his time at LPHS and is happy that he was able to work at the school for as long as he did. 

“I have been very blessed and thankful to be able to serve LaPorte High School for 25 years,” Gilliland said. 

Gilliland will be greatly missed and his contributions to LPHS’ athletic department are highly appreciated.