Senior Goodbye: Olivia Wright

Senior Goodbye: Olivia Wright

It is bittersweet writing this article knowing that it is one of the last that I will write for LaPorte High School. Over the past two years, I have grown tremendously as both a writer and person because of the newspaper. Working as editor during my senior year is by far the accomplishment that I am most proud of. Slicer Newsroom has granted me endless opportunities and allowed me to achieve things beyond my wildest dreams, and I could not be more grateful. 

To any incoming freshman who may be reading this, I would like you to know a few things. #1: Don’t take yourself too seriously. I spent most of high school worrying about what other people thought of me and trying too hard to please others, and in the long run, it just resulted in me missing out on some fun experiences at times. 

#2: Teachers are there to help you, so don’t be afraid to ask for help at any time. No question is a dumb question and teachers want to help you. 

#3: grades really do matter. Colleges give out scholarships based on grades and GPA many times and even if those things aren’t important to you in high school, good grades will result in good scholarships (more money!) in the long run. 

For anyone looking to join the newspaper staff, I strongly encourage you to do so! The class has afforded me some amazing opportunities and taught me so much that most other classes cannot provide. I started off as a shy, quiet student who liked writing, and I became a confident, independent writer who was not afraid to take chances. 

I am certain that I will carry all of the lessons learned from my time in newspaper onto college and beyond. I feel prepared to major in journalism and communications at Valparaiso University in the fall and carry on the Slicer Newsroom spirit with me wherever I go!