3 Slicers become Lilly finalists

Three LaPorte High School seniors–Sydney Hill, Rosie Korell, and Tyler Troy–were named finalists for the prestigious Lilly Endowment Scholarship.

According to the Lilly Endowment website, the scholarship provides full-tuition to any accredited Indiana four year university or college as well as providing a stipend for books. 143 scholarships are awarded statewide annually.

LPHS boasts three of the eight finalists, each of who have worked tirelessly in and out of the classroom to be shining examples of a well-rounded student. Meet the three Slicer finalists.

Sydney Hill, daughter of Brian and Shelly Hill, is involved in basketball, National Honor Society (NHS), Work Ethic, Envirothon, Principal’s Advisory Council, and cadet teaching. She has taken AP Seminar, AP English Language, AP Environmental Science, Spanish III, AP Lit, Honors Precalculus/Trig, and AP Calculus.

She was named Dave Neely Most Valuable JV player, 2021 basketball Sectional champion, Northwest Indiana Regional Envirothon winner, and 3rd place finisher in the written exam at the State Envirothon competition. 

Outside of school, she is active in 4-H including the Poultry Project, Poultry Committee, and Little Peeps Mini 4-H Showmanship judge. She also is involved with Relay for Life, New Day Foundation, Operation Christmas Child, and Inside Out Youth Group.

Hill wants to study elementary education at Trine University. 

Being named a Lilly finalist was overwhelming for Hill.

“I was overcome with so many different emotions. It felt good to be recognized for the hard work I have put in, and it is a huge honor to be a finalist for this scholarship,” Hill said.

Rosie Korell, daughter of Tom and Cathy Korell, is involved in golf, gymnastics, NHS, French Club, Girl Reserves, Student Council, and Spell Bowl. She has packed her schedule at LPHS with AP Seminar, AP World History, AP Physics 1, AP Chemistry, AP Language and Comp, AP Environmental Science, AP Psychology, AP Literature, AP/Dual Credit Calculus, DC Horticulture Science, and DC Precalculus.

Korell serves as president for NHS and French Club and is co-captain for golf and gymnastics. She was named Most Improved (2019/2020) for golf and gymnastics as well as being a 2022 Sectional champion in golf.  

Outside of school, Korell volunteers at kids’ gymnastics camps, is the gymnastics coach for LaPorte Gymnastics Club, works on the cart barn staff at Briar Leaf, and gives her time at the soup kitchen for Salvation Army.

Korell hopes to study biochemistry at Purdue or Notre Dame and possibly go to medical school to become a doctor.

The news of being a Lilly finalist was a mixture of elation and pride for Korell.

“I was really excited and surprised by it. It made me feel proud of myself and my hard work,” Korell said.

Tyler Troy, son of Bill and Carly Troy, is involved in cross country, track and field, Science Olympiad, NHS, and Quiz Bowl. Troy has filled his classload with AP Seminar, AP World History, AP Chemistry, AP Physics 1, AP Physics 2, AP Research, AP Language, AP US History, AP/DC Calculus BC, AP Psychology, AP Literature, DC Spanish 3, and DC Precalculus/Trigonometry.

Troy has been named National Merit Semi-Finalist and will find out soon if he will be a finalist. He is also a two-time team State qualifier for cross country, State qualifier for Science Olympiad, AP Distinguished Scholar, two-time Academic All-State Cross Country, Academic All-State Track and Field, and was on the 2022 Regional Championship team. Troy also earned a perfect math SAT score, which is a rare feat for high school students.

Outside of school, Troy is the founder and leader of a STEM Club for underprivileged youth at Riley Elementary School. He has raised over $700 for supplies for the club. He has 200+ hours of community service overall.

After high school, Troy plans to double major in math and physics at Notre Dame and possibly earn a PhD in some branch of physics.

Even with his impressive resume, Troy did not expect to be a finalist.

“I was pretty surprised because I didn’t think I would get it,” Troy said.

The two winners from La Porte County will be announced in December. 

The full list of finalists includes:

Kayla Campbell–Michigan City High School

Mirabellah Hernandez–New Prairie High School

Sydney Hill–La Porte High School

Adrian Huizar–Michigan City High School

Elisabeth (Rosie) Korell–La Porte High School

Tyler Troy–La Porte High School

Paloma Valdes–Marquette Catholic High School

Elizabeth Wadle–Marquette Catholic High School