LPHS Athletic Council raises over $2,000 for Special Olympics

The LPHS Athletic Council hosted its annual Trick-or-Treat on October 27th and raised $2,549 for Champions Together and Special Olympics Indiana.  

According to its website, Champions Together is a collaborative partnership between the Indiana High School Athletic Association and Special Olympics Indiana that promotes servant leadership among student athletes while changing their lives as well as the lives of those with intellectual disabilities.

“I am proud of our Student Athletic Council for putting on this event as well as the teams and clubs that participate. First, the donations all go to Special Olympics Indiana, which is a great cause. Second, it is very enjoyable to watch our students interact with the young kids who are trick or treating. They do such an amazing job, and everyone looks to be having a great time,” Steve Santana, LPHS athletic director, said.

LPHS athletic teams and clubs have their own booths where they have various activities from face painting to dancing to completing obstacles courses for candy. The night allows high school students to connect with future Slicers.

“I loved working the Trick-or-Treat this year. I worked at the Trick-or-Treat my freshman year, and I have been waiting for it to happen again. It’s so fun to see all of the costumes and dance with the people that attend!”  Korrine Hayes, senior captain of the LPHS Dance Team, said. 

The pandemic caused the event to be postponed for the past couple of years, but the community filled LPHS with costumes and overflowing bags of candy.

“I think it’s great to get this event going again after a couple of years away.  We have such a great turnout for this event, and the people of this community really enjoy it,” Santana said.

The Student Athletic Council spent months preparing for this community-wide event that has become one of the most attended occasions that LPHS puts on. 

“The event took quite a bit of time to plan out with the group, but we worked well to organize and set it up. It was student-led, so we had some help from the athletic directors to run the event, but spreading the information and recruiting clubs and sports were on us,” Abby Allen, senior Athletic Council member, said.

The student-led council again showed the power of Slicer teamwork and dedication.

“I am very proud of the work we did. This is the first year since COVID that we have run the event, and I think we had a great turnout. As a group, we did a great job with guiding the families on where to go and recruiting all of the clubs and sports to attend the event. Our group worked together to keep the gyms from becoming too full and avoiding large crowds in the hallways,” Allen said.