LPHS FFA starts year strong

Alyssa Arneson, Writer

Future Farmers of America (FFA) at LPHS is starting off with a strong year.

According to its website, FFA is a national organization that gives youth in-depth knowledge about agriculture, personal growth, and leadership. FFA alumni have become doctors, teachers, and many other impactful careers. The club’s goal is to help future generations discover their talents and interests to help them find the career that best fits them through hands-on learning. 

LPHS teachers and FFA advisors Jessi Davenport and Amber Paquette come together to lead 

students and plan various contests, activities, and fundraisers. The LPHS chapter is rapidly growing, and highly active in local state events. The impact of FFA on students is evident. 

We learn lots of life lessons in FFA from leadership skills to dealing with all different kinds of people. We travel and network with different chapters throughout the state, and they are all very different while all sharing the same passion for agriculture,” Davenport said. 

In past years, FFA has helped clean up benches and served meals at the PAX Center. This year they are going to host a penny war during FFA Week to raise money for St. Judes Children’s Hospital.

One of the biggest events that happens during the year for group is the National FFA Convention in Indianapolis when thousands of students ascend upon the state capital in late October.

The national convention is an event that LPHS FFA students attend every year. It holds concerts, competitions, and has guest speakers. The convention also hosts workshops to give students opportunities to get hands-on learning and discover what career they are interested in. 

“It was a reallt fun and educational experience that I’m glad I was able to be a part of,” CC Langford, sophomore FFA member, said. 

It takes a great deal of hard work by students to keep FFA operating at the level it does. The LPHS chapter is led by president Jackson Wainscott, vice president Gavin Redlin, and treasurer Grant Olson. 

Wainscott makes sure everything runs smoothly. He is also the Northern Region Vice President of District 1, so he is active in many area contests and other special events. According to Jackson, the goal of La Porte’s FFA is showing the community what they can do with agriculture. 

FFA has been an integral part of Wainscott’s life.

“Mrs. Davenport has been a big inspiration for me and showed me what I want to do in life,” Wainscott said. 

Olson keeps track of the money that the group raises for fundraisers and the money they use. FFA uses money to get new equipment and for the float they have in the La Porte County Parade every year. This year, Olson designed and built the whole parade float. He is in his fourth year of FFA, which is a huge passion for him after being raised on his grandparents’ farm. 

Any students interested in joining can attend meetings that are every third Wednesday of the month.The next meeting will be on November 16th. Students can also see Davenport in F.13 or Paquette in F.16 with any questions.