Slicers and Boilermakers combine for music magic

Slicer Gym was brought to life Friday night as the Purdue Pep Band and two Purdue dancers joined the La Porte contingent to create an unforgettable evening.

The “Black and Gold Sound,” an 82 member pep band who performs for the PU Women’s Basketball team, made the trek up from Lafayette.

“It was a really fun experience. It even made a lot of the young Pep Band members more excited to play. It added a lot of energy to the gym and game,” Kaitlyn Day, senior Slicer Pep Band member, said. 

This is the first year LPHS has had the opportunity to be a part of the “Partners in Music Education” program that has been around since 1999. According to its website, its purpose was to establish a true partnership between Purdue University Bands and Orchestras and Indiana high school instrumental music programs involving all facets of performance from symphony orchestras and concert bands to athletic pep bands.

The LPHS band will travel to Purdue University for a day of rehearsals on April 12th. The next week (4/17), the PU wind ensemble will join Slicer musicians for a side-by-side band concert. The three LPHS bands will perform. PU will perform, and both will do one piece together.

Mr. Sullivan, band director, is thrilled about all the extras that this experience will provide.

“Our students get to perform next to college musicians! They also get to eat with them for a more relaxed time to talk and get to know each other. Our students will get a college tour, rehearsals with college instructors, and a chance to perform twice with different musicians. Being able to see that music can be a lifelong passion is great for us,” Sullivan said.

The partnership also coincides with students preparing for annual contests.

“Our April visits are timed to help us get ready for the ISSMA contest later that month. Our trip and side-by-side will be a huge boost for the band’s preparation for that event. This is an opportunity that will create memories for our students that they will hold forever!” Sullivan said.