LPHS offers Health Science Pathway

As of this year, LPHS now offers a three-course in-school nursing program that allows students to end ready to take the Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) exam. 

These classes are dual credit courses through Ivy Tech that can transfer to other colleges. If students just take the Principles of Health Care, they will earn three dual credits. If a student takes all three courses they can earn 14 dual credits. LPHS is partnering with Northwest Health for the health science program. 

Tabitha Hughes, who has been in the medical field for 15 years, leads the program. She earned her Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree from Indiana University and holds licensure for nursing and health science. She has been teaching for 10 years, and before coming to La Porte, she worked at the Michigan City Area Schools. “The new healthcare class that is being offered at LPHS is a great introduction into the healthcare field. This class opens the door to many new opportunities for students wanting to go into this field. Mrs. Hughes makes this class fun while learning lifelong skills,” Ava Penziol, Health Science Pathway student, said.

The first class students take is Principles of Health Care. This class is an introduction to all healthcare systems including nursing care, dental care, animal care, medical laboratory, and public health. Students are able to look at a multitude of careers in the medical field. Students also have multiple opportunities to meet healthcare professionals due to guest speakers, job shadowing, and facility tours.

If students want to further their healthcare education, they are offered the next class–Medical Terminology. This is all about the study of health terminology within the body system. Students will have an understanding of medical abbreviations, symbols, and Greek and Latin word part meanings. They will also build their skills in pronouncing, spelling, and defining words, which will teach them how to speak and write in the health industry.

The third class is the Healthcare Specialist, which is the CNA course. This prepares students with the knowledge and skills to provide basic care in extended care facilities. Students are also introduced to caring for a long-term care resident with dementia and to the disease process. Students are required to complete a minimum of 75 hours of clinical time. After they have finished the course, they can be eligible to take the Indiana Department of Health (ISDH) certification exam for nursing assistants. 

Health Science Pathway students are encouraged to join HOSA-Future Health Professionals and to attend the state leadership conference. It is held every April in Indianapolis. This event allows students to attend healthcare symposiums and competes in various healthcare events. 

If students have any questions, they can contact Mrs. Hughes by email at [email protected] or in room B.14.